The 4-H Charter indicates that a 4-H Club or Group is organized in accordance with the objectives of the Wisconsin 4-H program. The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division of Extension grants 4-H Charters which formally authorizes a Wisconsin 4-H Club or Group to use the 4-H Name and Emblem for educational purposes in accordance with laws and regulations established by Congress and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, the 4-H Charter Application provides:
- Documentation of educational activities of the 4-H Club or Group/Committee needed for liability coverage for 4-H volunteers and members
- Program impact evaluation and educational planning
- Documentation of compliance by 4-H Clubs and Groups with EEO, ADA guidelines, and Civil Rights laws.
Wisconsin 4-H Club and Group Charter Application will be posted August 1 and must be completed online by November 1.
- 2023-2024 Charter Application (online application form)
- 2023- 2024 Printable Charter Worksheet(Printable PDF) – a resource you can use with your club or group before completing the online application.
- If you need to submit a paper Charter Application instead of the online version, please contact your local Extension office.
A few tips as the club or group completes the Charter Application:
- SMART Goals Resource Guide (Printable PDF) – Can be used with the Club or Group to develop SMART Goals.
- Bylaws Templates
- 4-H Club Bylaws Template (Updated August 2022) – specifically designed for 4-H Clubs (Community Clubs, Afterschool Clubs, Classroom Clubs, Military Clubs)
- 4-H Group and Leaders Organization Bylaws Template coming soon. Work with your County Educator to adapt bylaws in the meantime.
- Sample Program Year Calendar (Fillable PDF) – Can be used with the Club or Group to plan your 4-H program year activities.
- If you indicate your group is planning a higher-risk activity, the local 4-H Educator will review it and let you know if it is approved.
- Wisconsin 4-H Policies
Other important Wisconsin 4-H Charter information:
- All 4-H Clubs and Groups must be chartered, be formally recognized as a committee of a chartered County 4-H Leader Organization or report directly to the 4-H Program Educator.
- Requirements for a 4-H Club and chartered Groups are listed on the Wisconsin 4-H Policies webpage.
- A 4-H Charter is given to a new 4-H Club or Group once all requirements are met. The successful completion of the Wisconsin 4-H Charter Application begins this process. 4-H Clubs and Groups newly applying to become a 4-H Club or Group should work with their local 4-H Program Educator to determine a completion date.
- 4-H Charters are renewed annually and will be granted upon successful completion of the Wisconsin 4-H Charter Application.
- The Wisconsin 4-H Charter Application deadline is November 1 for returning 4-H Clubs and Groups or an earlier date as determined by the 4-H Program Educator.
- Failure to submit a completed Wisconsin 4-H Clubs & Groups Charter Application by the due date could result in the 4-H Club or Group being dissolved.