The 4-H Dairy Leadership Award provides recognition to youth who have excelled in their dairy project. As of 1989, the James W. Crowley Dairy Management and Extension Fund assumed sponsorship of this award. We are pleased to name the award in honor and memory of James W. Crowley, longtime Extension Dairy Specialist and strong supporter of dairy youth project work. Participating counties will present an engraved medallion to one outstanding 4-H dairy project member for their accomplishments. Fifteen (15) state-level awards are to be presented annually to outstanding 4-H Dairy Project members. Award plaques will be given to the top fifteen and the top three youth will each receive $1000 cash awards. Youth that have received a plaque only are encouraged to apply again. Additionally, the top 4-H member that is a Junior in high school as of January 1, 2022 will be offered a $5000 scholarship to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison and enroll in the Department of Dairy and Animal Sciences. This scholarship is funded by another donor, but the winner is identified through the same process.
Selection of the county leadership award will be based on each county’s own selection criteria. Possible criteria could include evaluation of record books, selection by a county dairy committee/agent, or any other selection method that the county deems appropriate.
County Award Request Form & State Nominations – County educators must request the county medallions by May 1.
County educators should submit the name of their county winner and are encouraged to submit up to two additional nominees for the state award process. State award nominees must complete a written application and submit a letter of recommendation from their county educator or dairy project leader. 20 applicants will be selected for interviews at the Wisconsin State Fair.
Crowley Dairy Leadership Award Interview Feedback Form– Outlines the criteria for the State Award interview process.
- Must be currently enrolled in the 4-H Dairy Project and have at least two previous years of membership.
- Must be in 10th-13th grades as of January 1.
- Should have an outstanding record of involvement and accomplishments in the 4-H Dairy Project.
- January-May 2022 Counties select one county winner using their own selection criteria. Counties will submit up to 3 nominees to apply for the state award by May 1
- May 1, 2022 The Wisconsin 4-H office will send each state nominee an application to compete for the statewide awards.
- June 10, 2022 State award applications must be returned to the Wisconsin 4-H office.
- Early July, 2022 Interview finalists will be notified.
- August 3, 2022 Finalist interviews at Wisconsin State Fair
- August 5 or 6, 2022 State award winners announced at Wisconsin State Fair
Use the following worksheets to plan essay responses:
2022 Crowley Application Essay Questions (Fillable PDF)
2022 Crowley Application Essay Questions (Word Document)
Complete the application below and upload letters of recommendation:
Contact the Wisconsin 4-H office with questions, (608)262-1222, firstname.lastname@example.org.