The opportunity to register for 2023 4-H American Spirit will open in 4-H Online 2.0 October 15th. In order to register you will need to log into and have an approved profile/enrollment in https://v2.4honline.com/ and follow the attached directions.
About American Spirit East – June 2-11, 9-18 or 16-25, 2023
Experience history & heritage by immersing in a 10-day bus journey to the East Coast — Youth-led content throughout the experience — Increase knowledge of American history while experiencing where it occurred — Dynamic exposure to diverse cultural experiences and perspectives of the foundation of our nation.
The Program has the Following Objectives for its Participants:
- Increase knowledge and understanding of America’s heritage
- Build awareness of the many steps taken to gain U.S. independence and freedom
- Further develop skills in leadership and personal expression of values
- Increase awareness of self in relationship to others
- Share what was learned with others in your club and county
- Maumee, Ohio
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- New York City, New York
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Lexington/Concord, Massachusetts
- Gloucester, Massachusetts
- Niagara Falls, New York
- All youth grades 8-10 (Youth in 11th grade eligible for 2023 dates based on circumstance of passed missed opportunity.)
- Pre-Registration in 4-H Online 2.0 is open starting October 15-November 30, 2022. Youth and their parent/guardian must complete the online registration together; it includes questions for the youth participant to answer!
- Each experience is limited to 44 youth, decisions about who is selected to travel are based on the following factors: first-come-first-serve registrants, # of youth per experience, full rooms by identified gender, ages of youth traveling together, eligibility to participate in future years.
- Estimated Cost of Experience = $1,650
Questions? Contact Sarah Tarjeson at 920-459-5915 or email@example.com
October 15, 2022-Registration for American Spirit Experience Open to ALL in 4-H Online. Sarah Tarjeson to send out communication through 4-H Online.
November 30, 2022 Registration for American Spirit Experience Closes in 4-H Online. Sarah and other staff will finalize rosters for each of the three dates of travel based on the appropriate number of participants, room assignments by gender, space on each bus, age of participants, dates selected by registration.
December 15, 2022 Communication Regarding Participants Selected/Able to Travel E-mailed Sarah Tarjeson will send this out directly to participants and to staff.
January 15, 2023 Payment Deadline from Counties/Participants – Payable to 4-H American Spirit, 5 University Drive, Sheboygan, WI 53081; It is strongly preferred that participants pay their counties directly (Leaders Council/Association or another fiscal agent) and the county submits payment for all participants made payable to 4-H American Spirit and mailed to 5 University Drive, Sheboygan, WI 53081. Please direct questions regarding payment to Sarah Tarjeson at 920-459-5915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration will be done through 4HOnline and registration dates are October 15-November 30, 2022. Registration for travel week preference will be done on a first come, first serve basis. There will be a wait list created for each week in case of cancellations. If you need help registering through 4HOnline, please consult the registering for an event page here. You will be sent additional details after registration with more information on American Spirit and the orientation. Payment is due January 15th. Counties will be invoiced by the 4-H American Spirit Committee.
Participant Orientation dates are mandatory and will include the folowing dates and locations. Adult advisors are required to attend one of the orientations.
- Sunday, February 26, 2023 8:30am-1:00pm. Dane County Extension Office, Room 121, 520 Fen Oak Dr. #138; Madison, WI 53718
- Saturday, March 11, 2023 8:30am-1:00pm. Marathon County Extension Office, 212 River Dr, Ste. #3; Wausau, WI 54403
- More details coming as soon as they are confirmed.
Questions on registration? Contact Sarah Tarjeson at 920-459-5915 or email@example.com.
- 4-H member in 8-10th grades when registering. (11th grade registration accepted on a case by case basis)
- Delegates register through 4HOnline.
- Delegates carry county approval through the experience.
- Delegates must not have attended American Spirit in the past.
- October 15-November 30 – Registration will be open on 4HOnline
- January 15th – Payment Due
- February 26th or March 11, 2023 – Participants attend American Spirit Orientation
- Dates of travel for experience: June 2-11, June 9-18, or June 16-26, 2023. Departure will take place from one location TBA. Our first night will include an overnight stay in one WI hotel, most likely near Stevens Point or Madison.
Itineraries will be given closer to the experience.
What Should Delegates Expect?
- Participation in a delegate orientation session 1-2 months prior to departure.
- Conduct family heritage research to be completed prior to departure for Ellis Island Simulation
- Experience high temperatures with summer humidity in the East Coast, therefore plan to pack light, appropriate clothing.
- Time on the road completing activities, connecting with other youth, and learning through youth led ‘Teachable Moments’.
- Learn about our country’s vast history through many historic cities.
- Experience landmarks, monuments, and museums across New England.
- Identify ways that you can make a positive impact in your home community from the tools you gained during the American Spirit Experience.
What are the expectations of Adult Advisors?
- Applicants must be in good physical condition to withstand rigors associated with the program. Expect much walking on hard surfaces, handling luggage, and sharing a sleeping room. Sleep deficit is common.
- American Spirit leaders can expect long bus rides.
- Participants usually experience high temperatures with humidity in the East Coast.
- Public speaking is required.
- Adult leaders must work cooperatively with fellow Adult Advisor Team Members and remain with the delegation at all times during the program.
- Adult leaders are required to submit a report and evaluation upon completion of the program.
- Participation at scheduled teleconference or in-person orientations is mandatory.
How do I apply?
Applications are done online through your 4HOnline profile on the events page under “Educational Programs Adult Advisor Application”.
A complete application must be submitted to WI State 4-H by 4:30pm February 15. A reference is required, you can find a copy of the reference form here. A phone interview may also be conducted. All applicants will be notified of their status in early March (except for National Congress, notified in July). If you would like a paper copy of the application, please contact Justin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-263-5971.
Each program has a different focus with different desired attributes for leaders. If someone doesn’t fit into one position, they might be great elsewhere. If you are not selected this year, please don’t be discouraged! Apply again next year!
More information can be found on the Adult Advisor Page.
- Does the receipt of a local scholarship guarantee a spot for my child on the experience? The short answer is no.
- What is the process for chaperoning this experience? American Spirit is a bit different than the other experiences in that 80% of the planning and leading is done by the volunteer committee and we believe that it is really important for those who travel to be a part of the planning…too many details to just jump in and travel. There are monthly meetings in addition to helping lead and plan orientation events. If you are interested in chaperoning the first step is to complete an application and perhaps join one of the next committee meetings. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to apply.
- Do I need to let anyone else know about my registration? Not really, but it would be VERY helpful if you called or e-mailed your local Extension office and 4-H staff person. I will be waiting for their approval in 4-H Online for your registration and a timely approval would be helpful.
- What about my payment? Please work with your county educator to determine if a payment will be sent by your county extension office, your local 4-H leader’s group, or by individual families. Once selections take place (December 12, 2022) and participants are assigned we will send out an invoice with additional details.
- Will my child need a passport? The 2023 American Spirit Experience will NOT include travel into Canada and therefore a passport will NOT be necessary.
- If my child tests positive for COVID prior to travel, can we expect a full reimbursement? It is our intention to have a list of students on a wait list ready to travel. As long as we can fill the students spot families can expect a full reimbursement. Expenses are incurred regardless of late cancellation or not.