This curriculum is designed as the guide for a project facilitator. The activities and background information in this curriculum will help youth develop the requisite knowledge and skills associated with raising and showing beef cattle. Activities are youth-centered and include opportunities for the application of knowledge and skills at three different levels of experience: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
- bio-security risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- budgeting decisions associated with raising and housing cattle.
- dietary needs of beef cattle at different life stages.
- elements of beef cattle conformation.
- pre-show preparation; showmanship; and judging.
- strategies for crossbreeding cattle.
- ethical decision making in caring for and showing swine.
- tip-to-tail health assessments.